Unit 12 Life is full of the unexpected.基础训练
1、On hearing the news, her heart was _____ excitement
A. filled of B. full with C. filled with D. fill with
2. The girl is greatly interested in the song. The lyrics of it ___ her thoughts and feelings.
A. express B. discuss C. expect D. imagine
3. By the time of last term, we ______ all the lessons.
A. finished B. have finished C. had finished D. will finish
4. —I’m sorry I ________ my exercise book at home this morning.
—It doesn’t mater. Don’t forget ________ it here this afternoon.
A. left; to bring B. forgot; bringing C. have left; to bring D. have forgot; to bring
5. Don’t forget ______ thanks when other people help you.
A. accept B. to accept C. say D. to say
6. He has to stay in Thailand for one more week because his passport and ID card were stolen. — ________.
A. Forget it B. It doesn’t matter C. I’m sorry to hear that D. Great
7. I ___ this morning and missed the early bus.
A. overslept B. slept C. held D. caught
8. We lost the way in the forest, and we didn’t know ____ .
A. where we get back B. when did we get back C. how we could get back
9. I was late today because my alarm clock didn’t____
A. run off B. go off C. give out D. give up
10. Hurry up, Tom! The train is _____ to start. A. about B. with C. for D. At
11. On those foggy days,you could hardly see anything around you ___ it was at noon.
A.so B. because C. but D. though
14. Teachers are often compared to _____ candles.
A. burnt B. is burning C. burns D. burning
15. Jin Yong is one of the greatest and oldest___writer. He is still ____.
A. living; alive B. living; living C. alive; living D. alive; lively
16. This bus doesn’t go to the rain station. I’m afraid you’ll have to ____ at the library and take the A52.
A. take off B. put off C. get off D. turn off
18. He didn’t show _______ until the meeting was over.
A. on B. out C. in D. up
19. —Could you tell me _______? —In August, 2014.
A. where will the Youth Olympic Games take placeB. when will the Youth Olympic Games take place
C. where the Youth Olympic Games will take placeD. when the Youth Olympic Games will take place
20. It's impolite to laugh at, stare at or play _____on disabled people
A. fun B. jokes C. tricks D. parts
21. — Do you have Nokia E72 mobiles?— Sorry, they have been ____ . You may come next time.
A. given out B. looked out C. sold out D. come out
22. The policemen will go to_________the truth.
A. find B. find out C. decide D. look for
23. The boats take different routes, but they all____ in the same place.
A.give up B. clear up C. end up D. make up
24. Sam enjoyed collecting. He has collected over three _______stamps.
A. hundred B. hundreds C. hundred of D. hundreds of
25. Why was Miss Lee angry this morning?—Because Tom didn’t _____ his homework.
A. hand out B. hand in C. give away D. give out
26. We all went to the cinema except you last night. Why didn't you come? —Because I _____ that movie twice.
A. have watched B. had watched C. was watching D. would watch
27. The teachers hope all of us can hand _______ our homework _______ time every day.
A. up; in B. out; on C. on; in D. in; on
1. By the time I ________(walk) into the classroom, the teacher__________(start) ________(teach) already.
2. I didn’t realize I ___________(leave) the key at home until I got to my car. So I had to go back.
3. I believe that an important moment like this should _______ (not forget).
4. I was _________(fool) enough to believe what he told me.
5. I was ___________(embarrass) when the boy asked me the question.
6. —Claudia, are you going to Jeff’s birthday party on Saturday?—Unless I______ (invite).
7. When did Sue and Jack___________(结婚).
8. When I got there, the bus _____ (go).
9. We ____ (learn) over 1,000 words by the end of last term.
10. When I got to the cinema, the movie ____ （开始）for five minutes
____ I _____ to the bus stop, the bus _____ _____ left.
12. 我下个月底会回来。 I will be back __________ last month.
13. 一架飞机将降落在机场。 A plane will ____ ____ the airport.
16. 有时，坏事可以变成好事。A bad thing can be __ __ a good one sometimes.
17. 房间里全是学生。 The room ____ ____ ____ students.
三. 过关斩将。 15%
1. --- Will you come to the dinner party? --- I will not come until Jenny __________.
A. will be invited B. can be invited C. invited D. is invited
2. John _______ Beijing the day before yesterday.
A. arrived at B. arrived C. reached to D. arrived in
3.In Switzerland, people ________ visit a friend’s house.
A. make plans B. make plans to C. makes plans to D. make a plan
4. It’s too hot. Do you mind ______ the window?
my closing B. my opening C. open D. close
5.She ______Shanghai next week.
A. is leaving for B. leaves for C. leaved D. left
7.We go to school every day _____ Saturday and Sunday.
A. beside B. besides C. except D. except for
8.Yang Liwei is proud ____ his motherland.
A. in B. of C. from D. for
9. I find ________ difficult to remember everything, though I’m still young.
A. that B. this C. it D. what
10.He _____ at the last party. He felt sorry for it.
A. makes some mistakes B. make a mistake C. made few mistakes D. made many mistakes
11. Is it easy for people from different countries to greet each other?
--- I don’t think so. Because different countries have different _______.
A. clothes B. food C. way D. customs
12. What ______ you ____ to your teacher if you are not on time? --- I think we do the same as you do.
A. do, tell B. do, say C. will, say D. will, tell
13. Linda is new here. But she soon ________ getting up early.
A. get used to B. is used to C. used to D. uses to
( )15. You can _____ how different the table manners here are from ours.
A. imagine B. meet C. look D. listen
Tony: These days, the word “clone” has been seen very often in the newspapers. Do you know its meaning?
Lana: I read a report. It said that Dr. Ian Wilmut successfully cloned a lamb named Dolly from a grown-up sheep. So people call him the “father” of Dolly.
Tony: In fact, the word “clone” means to produce the “same” animal by taking cells from a grown-up one. I think, if we know how to do cloning, we need only to keep a small number of sheep, cows or horses.
Lana: What’s more, these days some people even want to clone humans. They have asked: Can we clone ourselves?
Tony: It seems interesting. But do you think it possible to do that?
Lana: No, impossible! First, I think we cannot clone a dead person, because the cells in his body are dead already.
Tony: Then can we clone a living person?
Lana: Again no! You might clone yourself one after another, but it is only a copy, not a real you. It is only something, not a “human”.
Tony: Well, you mean that it is not a real human.
Lana: True enough! I think Dr. Wilmut would most like to make better animals, and it has nothing to do with human cloning.
( )1. The word “clone” means ___________.
A. to give birth to a new life B. to make a new thing according to the sample
C. to make a new animal D. to make a new living thing by taking cells from an old one
( )2. Dolly was the name of _________.
A. the father of a sheep B. a famous scientist C. a sheep that was cloned D. a grown-up sheep
( )3. Lana says Dr. Ian Wilmut is the “father” of Dolly. Here, she means _______.
A. Dr. Ian Wilmut gave Dolly a new life B. Dr. Ian Wilmut was the first man to clone a sheep in his lab
C. Dr. Ian Wilmut takes care of Dolly like a father D. Dr. Ian Wilmut has a daughter whose name is Dolly
( )4. What are Tony and Lana talking about? They are talking about _________.
A. a newspaper B. sheep C. Cloning technique D. humans
( )5. According to the text, which of the following is TRUE?
A. Scientists have successfully cloned humans.B. Dr. Wilmut likes to do human cloning.
C. Cloned animals are better than grown-up ones.D. Lana thinks humans shouldn’t be cloned.
（C）There are students from all over the world at the United World School. In this school these students study and spend their free time together. The school believes this will help them grow up to be knowledgeable, caring and friendly.
Once a year, there is a special “United Nations” show. Students are allowed to show anything they want, but anything that comes from their traditional cultures. To get ready for the festival, they have to teach each other. And the school believes this will help them understand and enjoy the culture of their friends better.
This school also believes that students should be allowed to make some decisions themselves. For example, the older students are allowed to wear what they want and the younger students are allowed to choose which kind of uniform they want to wear. But all students are asked not to wear an expensive necklace or something else like that, and not to wear clothes that will make other students unhappy.
It is never possible to make everybody happy, but if we want to have a much more wonderful world, it is important for students to understand and enjoy other cultures as well as to be proud of their own.
( )1. Where do the students at the United World School come from? _____
A. China B. America C. Canada D. All over the world
( )2. What are the students allowed to do at the United World School? _______
A. To do everything they want B. To wear anything they want
C. To decide something themselves D. To choose anything they want
( )3. Which of the following is NOT right according to the passage? _________.
A. The school can help the students grow up to be friendly
B. The school allows the students to make some decisions
C. We can make everybody happy by understanding each other
D. It’s important to help the students understand other cultures.
( )4. What can Li Lei, a Chinese boy, show on the festival according to the passage? ________
A. Play the piano B. Act Beijing Opera
C. Sing an English song D. Have a rock show
( )5. What does “this” in the passage? ___________
A. The “United Nations” show B. The traditional culture
C. The school D. The world
（D） When you are learning English, you find it not clever to put an English sentence, word for word, into your own language. Take the sentence “How do you do?” for example. If you look up each word in the dictionary, one at a time, what is your translation? It must be a wrong sentence in your own language.
Language do not just have different sounds, they are different in many ways. It’s important to learn the rules for word order in the study of English, too. If the speakers put words in a wrong order, the listener can’t understand the speaker’s sentence easily. Sometimes when the order of words in an English sentence is changed, the meaning of the sentence changes. But sometimes the order is changed, the meaning of the sentence doesn’t change. Let’s see the difference between the two pairs of sentences.
“She only likes apples.” “Only she likes apples.”
“I have seen the film already.” “I have already seen the film.”
When you are learning English, you must do your best to get the spirit of the language and use it as the English speaker does.
( )1. From the passage we know that _____ when we are learning English.
A. we shouldn’t put every word into our own languageB. we should look up every word in the dictionary
C. we need to put every word into our own languageD. we must read word by word
( )2. The writer thinks it is _________ in learning English.
A. difficult to understand different sounds B. possible to remember the word order
C. important to learn the rules in different ways D. easy to learn the rules for word order
( )3. We can learn from the passage that ___________.
A. the meaning of an English sentence always changes with the order of the words.
B. the order of words can never change the meaning of an English sentence
C. sometimes different order of words has a different meaning
D. if the order of the words is different, the meaning of a sentence must be different
( )4. “She only likes apples” _____________.
A. is the same as “Only she likes apples” B. is different from “Only she likes apples”
C. means “She likes fruit except apples” D. means “she doesn’t like apples”
( )5. Which is the best title for this passage?
A. Different Orders, Different Meanings B. How to Speak English
C. How to Put English into Our Own Language D. How to Learn English
1. You are ______ (suppose) to shake hands when you meet a Chinese friend.
2. Keep your eyes ______(close) when you are doing eye exercises.
3. A knife is used for _______(cut) things. 4. Trees can keep water from _______ (run) away.
6. Do you still remember______(看见) me somewhere in Beijing ?7. Give up bad _________ (举止) and be polite.
8. ________ ( 花 ) time with family and friends is very important. 9. He is _________ （满意）with his son.
Manners are important in every country, but people have different 1 about their manners. What is good in one country may not be 2 in another.
Chinese people are 3 to know the fact that an Englishman doesn’t stop to talk and shake hands with his friend in the street. They just say hello 4 each other and then pass on.
English people think 5 we Chinese end our visits to friends all of a sudden. They usually begin to 6 that they want to go 15 or 20 minutes before they leave their 7 house. And they do this two or three 8 within 20 minutes.
It is important 9 people to understand each other. Here is a 10 , “When in Rome, do as the Romans do.”