1. Is it necessary ____________(learn) a foreign language?
2. He is good at _____________(swim).
3. Do you have anything ____________(say) for yourself?
4. It’s spring now. it’s time _____________(plant) trees.
5. Don’t keep me _______(wait) for a long time.
6. The policeman told the boys not ____________(play) in the street.
7. Her son is too young __________(dress) himself.
8. The ice _________(cover) with snow is dangerous to walk on.
9. China doesn’t want ___________(copy) the USA’s example.
10. Let’s _________(have) a rest, shall we?
11. The speaker spoke too quickly for us ____________(understand).
12. The book seems easy __________(read).
13. I asked him __________(show) me his new pen.
14. A __________(break) car is parked at the corner of the road.
15. Knives are used for ______________(cut) things.
16. What’s his _____________(give) name, do you know?
17. I really don’t know what __________(do) next.
18. I often hear people _________(say) “__________(see) is ____________(believe)”.
19. You’d better _________(try) this medicine.
20. They said they had nothing _________(worry) about.
21. Can you finish ___________(read) the book in three days?
22. I have been busy all these days. I really want __________(relax) myself.
23. The doctor was busy ___________(operate) on the boy at that time.
24. Mary opened the door for him _______(come) in.
25. ______(tell) you the truth, I dislike making friends with him.
26. His wish was ____________(become) a doctor.
27. Stop ___________(talk) and listen to me carefully.
28. Thank you very much for ____________(help) us.
29. Granny is very ill and she doesn’t feel like ___________(eat) anything.
30. Would you like __________(climb) the mountain with me?
31. The girl enjoys ___________(listen) to light music.
32. Do you remember ___________(buy) me a beautiful skirt on my 13th birthday?
33. Which of the following things would you like _________(own)?
34. We couldn’t help ________(laugh) after we heard the funny story.
35. What about _________(go) out for a walk?
36. The boy was too short ___________(reach) the toy on the desk.
37. I found a man __________(lock) the door when I passed by.
38. I was wrong _____________(speak) to her about it.
39. _________(be) honest, I just don’t like him.
40. Mr Fang promised __________(provide) some help to the village school.
41. I’m thirsty. Will you get me something ____? A. drink B. to drink C. eat D. eating
42. How long did you spend ___ your new house yesterday? A. to decorate B. decorate C. decorating D. decorated
43. It was great fun _____ a picnic on the hill. A. to have B. of having C. have D. had
44. ----Lily, keep the window ____. The sandstorm hasn’t stopped yet. ----OK, I’ll do that.
A. close B. closed C. open D. opened
45. A policeman saw two thieves ____ a girl’s mobile phone on a bus and he caught them at once.
A. to steal B. stealing C. stole D. stolen
46. It’s bad for your eyes ____ computer games for a long time.
A. plays B. to play C. play D. played
47. The scientist suggested ____ the experiment in a different way. A. do B. to do C. doing D. done
48. ----Do you often hear John ____ in his room? ----Yes. Listen! Now we can hear him ____ in his room.
A. sing; to sing B. singing; singing C. sing; singing D. to sing; singing
49. The headmaster’s words are quite _____. A. encouraged B. encouragement C. encouraging D. encourage
50. Why not ____?A. let him to go home B. to let him go home C. let him go home D. to let him to go home
51. They were made ____ fourteen hours a day. A. work B. working C. worked D. to work
52. Is it always easier ____ friends than to keep them? A. making B. make C. to make D. made
53. He stood there for two hours ____ the game. A. watched B. watching C. is watching D. was watching
54. It ____ Jack twenty minutes ____ the math problem yesterday.
A. took; to work out B. takes; worked out C. has taken; work out D. is taking; working out
55. When you leave, don’t forget ____ off the light. A. to turn B. turning C. turn D. turned
56. Who do you think you’d like ____?
A. to make friends B. make friends C. to make friends with D. make friends with
57. Although Jeff loves KFC, he tries ____ it too often. A. to eat B. not eat C. to not eat D. not to eat
58. ----Hi, Betty. Shall we go swimming this Sunday?
----This Sunday? I am sorry, I have a lot of homework ____ this Sunday.
A. to do B. done C. do D. to be done
59. Sally had no pen ____ yesterday morning. A. to write B. to write with C. writing D. writing with
60. John asked David how ____ Christmas. A. celebrating B. to celebrate C. to be celebrated D. celebrate
61. ----Excuse me, sir. Look at the sign on the wall “NO ____”. ----Oh, I’m sorry. I’ll never do it again.
A. PARKED B. SMOKE C. SPITTING D. SMOKED
62. ----Boys and girls, will you please ____ the park this afternoon? ----OK.
A. not cleaning out B. not to clean out C. to clean up D. clean up
63. Do you practice ______ English every morning? A. speak B. to speak C. speaking D. spoken
64. The Great Green Wall will stop the wind from ____ the earth away.
A. blow B. blowing C. blew D. to blow
65. We all considered Mr Zhao ____ teacher. A. be the best B. to be the best C. being best D. being the best
66. My sister used to be fond of ____ table tennis. A. play B. played C. playing D. to play
67. How about ____? A. to go out for a walk B. go swimming in the river
C. visiting the sick children in the hospital D. to having lunch in the restaurant
68. It’s very kind ____ you to ____ me ____ the heavy bag.
A. for; tell; to take B. of; thank; for C. to; speak; to have D. of; help; carry
69. Have you decided ____?
A. to go with whom B. whom to go with C. whom go with D. with whom to go
70. Her hope ____ a gold medal in the 2008 Olympic Games.
A. to win B. is to win C. winning D. will win
71. The meeting room is big enough ____ one hundred people. A. holding B. hold C. to hold D. holds
72. Would you please pass me the knife ____? A. to cut the watermelon with B. to cut the watermelon
C. cutting the watermelon D. cutting the watermelon with
73. It is better to teach a man to fish than ____ him fish. A. giving B. to give C. gives D. gave
74. Jenny is interested in ____ in her free time.
A. listened to the radio B. reading magazines C. watch TV D. plays tennis
75. The policeman warned the young man____ after drinking.
A. never to drive B. to never drive C. never driving D. never drive
76. What do you think is the best way ____the wild animals?
A. protecting B. to protect C. protected D. protect
77. I’d rather ____ on the land ____ in a factory.
A. work; than work B. work; work C. to work; than to work D. to work; to work
78. My grandfather is used ____ a hat in winter. A. to wear B. for wearing C. wearing D. to wearing
79. She is ____with her mother this afternoon.
A. going to shopping B. going shopping C. going to be shopping D. go to shop
80. The result of the game is ____. A. frustrate B. frustrating C. frustrated D. frustrates
81. I’m sorry ____ you enough help. A. have given B. of not giving C. not to have given D. to have given
82. Her brother was ____ at her words. A. annoy B. annoying C. annoyed D. being annoying
83. After the earthquake, almost all the windows are ____. A. break B. broke C. broken D. breaking
84. They are looking forward to ____ all over the world.A. travel B. traveled C. traveling D. be traveled
85. Would you mind ____ because there’re so many children ____ here?
A. smoke; play B. smoking; playing C. not smoking; play D. not smoking; playing
86. Some students from Grade 9 ____ do some ____ for the old.
A. volunteered to; clean B. volunteered; cleaning C. volunteered to; cleaning D. volunteered; clean
87. ____ English is much easier than speaking it. A. Read B. To read C. Reading D. Reads
88. The young man was often seen ____ by the lake. A. to draw B. to drawing C. draw D. drew
89. When he was in the office, he preferred ____ something ____ nothing.
A. to do; than do B. to do; rather than C. doing; rather than doing D. doing; to doing
90. It’s too hot today. Why not ____ your coat? A. taken off B. to take off C. take off D. taking off
91. I find ____ him all about it.
A. necessary to tell B. that necessary to C. necessary it to tell D. it necessary to tell
92. The old man seems ____ in a great hurry. A. be B. to be C. being D. to being
93. I ____ the same neighborhood with the lovely girl.
A. happened living in B. happened to live in C. was happening living in D. was happening to live
94. My uncle has given up ____. He looks very healthy now. A. smoke B. smoked C. to smoke D. smoking
95. I’m sorry ____ you so much trouble. A. take B. to have given C. to find D. to have produced
96. You are not expected ____ such long hours. A. to work B. working C. worked D. work
97. There are many girls ____ in the pool A. swim B. swam C. swimming D. to swim
98. His father agreed ____ $ 4,000 for the car. A. with paying B. to paying C. to pay D. on paying
99. Her hobby is ____ model planes. A. collected B. collecting C. made D. make
100. The man pretended ____ when we saw him.
A. to be eaten B. eating C. being eating D. to be eating
I. 1. to learn 2. swimming 3. to say 4. to plant 5. waiting 6. to play 7. to dress
8. covered 9. to copy 10. have 11. to understand 12. to read 13. to show
14. broken 15. cutting 16. given 17. to do 18. say; seeing ; believing 19. try
20. to worry 21. reading 22. To tell 26. to become 27. talking 28. helping
29. eating 30. to climb 31. listening 32. buying 33. to own 34. laughing
35. going 36. to reach 37. locking 38. to speak 39. To be 40. to provide
II. 41--45 BCABB 46--50 BCCCC 51--55 DCBAA 56—60 CDABB
61—65 CDCBB 66—70 CCDBB 71—75 CABBA 76—80BADBB
81—85 CCCCD 86—90CCADC 91—95 DBBDB 96—100 ACCBD